If high unemployment wasn’t bad enough Tony Abbott has just signed the China FTA, a trade agreement negotiated in secret that will see local workers abandoned - locked out of good jobs.
Please email your MP today to tell them that you do not support the China FTA and that we need to create jobs and not destroy them by trading them away.
Under the Agreement:
- Chinese companies that invest $150 million or more in a project will be able to bring in temporary workers;
- There will be no requirement that jobs be offered to local workers first; and
- Chinese companies will be able to sue Australian Governments if they believe that an Australian law adversely impacts on their businessSo while Abbott is trumpeting the benefits of the deal, the simple truth is it will destroy job opportunities and we will give up our right to make laws beneficial for working people.
The deal will also allow Chinese companies to compete unfairly against local companies because they are:
- Often unfairly subsidised by their government;
- Not bound by fair labour laws that provide workers with decent wages and conditions; and
- Able to ignore environmental standards and regulations
With youth unemployment the highest in a decade we cannot afford to stand by and watch as our kids miss out on job opportunities.
That’s why we need to stand up to Abbott and his mates in big business who are the only ones benefitting from this.
Help us stop the China FTA.
P.S. Please email your MP today to tell them that you do not support the China FTA and that we need to create good jobs for local workers, not trade them away