Dnata Catering has announced that employees will be stood down because there is no useful work for them to do because of the coronavirus.
We know you’re worried
These are unprecedented times and things are changing so quickly. Unfortunately this is not business as usual. But we want to make sure that you know we will be by your side every step of the way.
Dnata Catering employees in Adelaide will be stood down from Thursday, 26 March. Workers at other ports will be stood down from Monday, 30 March. They expect the stand down to last for three months.
As of right now your union is holding urgent discussions with Dnata Catering management. We are working hard to ensure your jobs are protected. But we may all have to make some tough.
Will there be any work for me during the stand down?
Dnata Catering may have some limited work for some employees in the coming months:
- Dnata will ask for volunteers for employees who want to work;
- The volunteering pools will be limited to the work people currently perform;
- Work will be allocated to the volunteers as it becomes available;
- You will be paid your normal rate of pay for the hours you work, all other EBA conditions will apply.
We are working with Dnata Catering to ensure that work will be allocated fairly and to as many people as possible.
Can I use annual or other paid leave during the stand down?
- Dnata Catering have promised us that:
- Employees will be able to access their annual leave and long service leave;
- Employees will have flexibility to book leave so that they can spread out their leave for as long as possible. Leave can be booked in one day blocks.
We will continue discussion to secure access to other forms of leave.
This crisis will pass, and the aviation industry will rebound. They will require skilled and dedicated employees to help them recover quickly. Airlines and all aviation companies must commit to protecting their employees to ensure their own future.
We will continue to keep you up to date as our discussions with the Dnata Catering management continue.
In the meantime, if you are in need of individual assistance please contact your union branch, organiser or delegate: (download the full bulletin here) Dnata Catering Bulletin - 25 March 2020