The ASU/ALAEA, delegates and officials along with only 4 employee bargaining representatives and Emirates management attended the Fair Work Commission (FWC) on Thursday 14 August. The ASU/ALAEA had asked the FWC to assist the parties in finalizing a fair and equitable Enterprise Agreement for the next three years.
How the FWC helped
Commissioner Cribb from the Fair Work Commission heard from the ASU/ALAEA, the employee bargaining representatives and from Emirates. The Commissioner was told that everyone agreed that the outstanding matters were:
- The claim for 3% pa wage increases from 1/1/14, 1/1/15, 1/1/16;
- The claim for pay grades to increase by 3% pa;
- The claim for pay rises payable to all those over max level for grade;
- The claim for a paid breaks clause;
- The claim for increased redundancy pay or a commitment to job security for the life of agreement;
- The claim to maintain the Mascot allowance;
- The claim for fix duty travel time; and
- The claim to remove the proposed split shifts clause 12.5.
Commissioner Cribb heard from both the ASU/ALAEA and the bargaining representatives and Emirates management. The Commissioner then talked with Emirates separately, followed by the Commissioner discussing the claims with the ASU/ALAEA and the bargaining representatives. The discussions progressed through the day and the ASU/ALAEA and the bargaining representatives maintained our position on the settlement of the claims for the next enterprise agreement.
After discussion with the company, the Commissioner determined that the ASU/ALAEA, bargaining representatives and Emirates should meet again on Wednesday 27 August 2014 and Thursday 28 August 2014. Commissioner Cribb also got confirmation from Emirates the back pay will be unaffected until at least Sunday 31 August 2014.
A copy of the Statement from the FWC can be downloaded with the full bulletin below.
What's happens next?
The ASU/ALAEA will continue to represent the best interests of our members. The ASU/ALAEA believe it is in our members' best interests to utilise the services of the FWC. We will update members following the negotiations continuing next week in the FWC.
For more information, please get in touch with your local contact (download the full bulletin for details).