ASU members are angry that the VA CEO Mr John Borghetti has been awarded millions in bonuses at the same time the company is trying to cut our take home pay.
We had a negotiation meeting with management on 16 October 2017.
We have been able to make progress in relation to a number of ASU member claims, including:
- getting rid of the ROS day – VA has now said it will get rid of the ROS day. In its place full-time employees would be required to work one shift of 8 hours and 45 minutes in each 6 day block
- a fair job selection procedure
- the ability for staff to make training requests and have them fairly considered
- fairer progression from GS1 to GS2
- ensuring that salary underpayments are rectified as soon as possible, rather than making employees wait till the next pay
But there is much more work to do
Management is still insisting on its proposals to:
- cut our penalty rates by making ordinary hours of work 7am-7pm (currently ordinary hours are 7am-6pm)
- cutting overtime by making part time employees work 10 hour shifts at single rates of pay
- reducing any overtime we are entitled to if we take sick leave
- cutting sick leave from 18 days to 13 days a year
It is clear that if we want management to change its position members need to take action. It is a slap in the face that management are doing this at the same time as the CEO has been awarded millions in bonuses, and they are trying to increase the maximum annual directors’ fee to $2 million!
We need as many staff as possible to stand together and sign the postcard to the CEO and VA Board today and tell them that we won’t accept:
- cuts to penalty rates
- cuts to overtime pay
- drastic cuts to sick leave
If you have any questions, contact your local workplace delegate: (download the full bulletin here details) Virgin Australia Bulletin # 13 - 25 October 2017